I purchased the Super Tote pattern back in the fall, with the intention of making it for myself. With holiday gift making, it got pushed aside, and then, I couldn't decide what fabric to use for the outside. I thought I had settled on doing a quilt-as-you-go exterior, but when I had both panels finished, I decided I didn't love it. I do think I will save them and use them to make a bag for Samantha for school in the fall.
As I thought more about it, I wanted to do something more patchwork-y. I kept thinking about this project bag I had made for a friend, and I decided that I wanted to do something like that. I pulled all of my DS scraps and fat quarters, and got cutting.
I pieced my 2.5" squares into seven rows of seven squares, and fused them to fusible fleece. Then I basted the pattern piece I had cut out of canvas to the patchwork, and trimmed my sides and corners. I did the same for the back piece. For the top small pieces, I did two rows of seven squares.
The gusset and straps are Yarn Dyed Black Essex linen. I basted batting to the outer gusset, and canvas to the inner to give them some extra strength.
I eliminated the interior pockets, because I knew I just wouldn't use them. The interior print is from Half Moon Modern, and I have been hoarding it for a while! I did use a lightweight interfacing on the interior pieces to keep them from being too floppy.
I used more DS for the zipper pieces, and essex linen for the zipper tabs. I fully lined the exterior pocket and used a magnetic snap as well. I didn't even break a needle top stitching it!
I really love the way it came out, and I can't wait to make another one!