So, at the end of KCW last week, I decided I would use the opportunity to crank out a few more outfits for Sew All 26. More details to come (as Samantha wears these outfits), but I just wanted to share. I was able to make these all Friday - and it felt good to get back to garment sewing a bit!
On Friday I managed to finish two more pairs of pants for Samantha, and two shirts for the boys!
Since I had little to no plan for the week, I decided that I should use some of the pant weight fabric I had purchased at JoAnn's last fall to finally make pants for Samantha. I used the After School Pants pattern from Oliver and S and some crazy fabric! (I figure I can only get her to wear these things for so long, right?)
I really like this pattern - easy and straightforward. The dots were a Lisette fabric from a year or two ago. They are a heavy cotton fabric.
The stars fabric just says made for JoAnn's. It feels like a twill of some sort.
I also was able to get the boys matching Sketchbook Shirts made for our family photo. I used a Michael Miller pindot in navy. It was very difficult to see any marks on the material, so I utilized the wonderful feature of tracing patterns on freezer paper - I ironed the pattern pieces onto the fabric and then cut them out!
That makes my total for KCW 4 pairs of pants, three dresses, six shirts, five skirts and one Halloween costume. Not as great as in years past, but many of these were time consuming patterns! I need to make some leggings for Ellie, but I'm taking a week off of clothes!
These were far less fussy than Samantha's Music Class blouse (post to come!), and they look so professional! I wasn't able to get a good picture of them, but they turned out great.
I started off yesterday with very little 'plan.' I knew what I wanted to make this week, but didn't have a plan for each day, like I have in the past. I also didn't have all of my patterns traced and fabric cut like I have before, so that has been taking additional time each day. Since the kiddos were playing nicely, I decided to trace out some Treasure Pocket Pants for Ben.
This pair is a light weight twill with some adorable car fabric for the sides and pockets.
I made these with a remnant of something that feels like a lightweight wool suiting fabric, combined with an adorable Riley Blake woodland print.
I also remade an Oliver and S Ice Cream Dress using some of the bargain Lisette fabric in the ice cream print.
I remade the Class Picnic Blouse as well. This pattern was difficult for me last year (I had trouble with the lining up of the sleeves and bodice and getting the overhang for the elastic casing to be the right size), but was very easy and came together quickly this year! I made this one a bit longer in the body and sleeves, since Samantha is tall and skinny.
I decided recently that I needed to sew more with knits. I bought a few yards at JoAnn's to try out some different types.
For Ben I used this red and black striped knit to sew the Pauley's Pullover from Sewing for Boys. I sewed the 2/3 size, and it is a bit long in the arms and the body is very wide, but he likes it! This knit was fairly thick and very easy to sew.
For Samantha I used a thin knit to make the Bimaa Cowl. I made the size six, as some of her fives are getting small. However, it is huge! She will have to wear a shirt under it for a while so you can't see her bellybutton from the weight of the cowl! But it is cute, and will fit for a long time. This knit was a pain to sew with - my machine kept wanting to eat it since it was so thin.
I purchased a yard of this cute Lizzy House print on sale a few weeks ago, with the intention of using it for 'L' week. Samantha wore the one I made last year the other day, and I was reminded of how cute it is. And easy to sew up! I really like the way this one came out - I hope she likes it!
I made two dresses yesterday, though at times it was touch and go! These dresses took a great deal of time and mental capacity, which was hindered by the sick little girl who didn't go to school yesterday. And our general lack of sleep lately didn't help either.
But I powered through and I am so pleased with the way they turned out! These are the girls' dresses for our family picture photoshoot coming up in November. I really like the print, which I was unsure of once I started making the dresses.
As always, I learn something new with every Oliver and S pattern I sew! I was stymied on the hem facing for these, until I figured out that when you fold the button placket right sides together you pull the facing out of the way. Then it fits fine, but man, that stumped me for a long time! (It didn't help that I sewed the facing to the wrong side of the dress, first, then to the wrong dress next!)
There are a lot of buttons on these dresses, but they are so cute! I love that they button all the way up the back. And the pleats/collar/facing/button placket are adorable all together and add a touch of fancy without being too much.
I'm taking a brain break today - some simple skirts and a Halloween costume on deck. I've got two more Oliver and S time consuming patterns to make hopefully this week - two Sketchbook Shirts for the boys for our family picture.
I'm planning some Treasure Pocket Pants for Ben, a Bimaa Cowl sweater for Samantha and an Ice Cream Dress as well. I've got several other things lined up if time allows -we will see!